Sunday, March 16, 2014

the inner room

We have plenty of those moments when we just want to get away from the busyness of life, go into a room and lock ourselves in. We just want to be in that faraway island or in that sanctuary where we can find peace away from all distractions. It is where we can just be with ourselves. If only we can. The thing is, we can; we can, if we choose to.

Personally, I found this very hard to do.  For a long time I've always wanted to carve out time to just be alone and reflect on things. It is in my prayer time that I find the comfort and peace amid all the pressure and busyness of life and I've always struggled to establish that sacred time to be with the Lord. At times, I still struggle.

Recently in one of my walks to the office, I was stopped dead in my tracks by something and was compelled to share it with friends in Facebook.

"We need not climb mountains nor swim the depths of the seas to appreciate the beauty nature has to offer.
Sometimes we just have to go to work!"
Sometimes we struggle too much to get away from our busy lives and 'escape reality' for a bit that we fail to remember that it is in the middle of all of it that we can find our peace. I was reminded of just that when I saw this flower that I just passed by and ignored daily for months! Yes, we deserve and need those out-of-town long vacations, but it is also in moments such as the one I experienced above that I believe we are refreshed and reconnected with ourselves. It is in these moments that we are sustained daily.

But when you pray, go to your inner room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. (Mt 6:6)

In the passage above, Jesus reminds us to pray in spirit and in truth to our Father. It is in the inner room, into our innermost being that we can connect and be with Him. We can do this not just by physically isolating ourselves from the world but also by just being in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment